Adv
LANGUAGES
English
Hindi
Spanish
French
German
Chinese_Simplified
Chinese_Traditional
Japanese
Russian
Arabic
Portuguese
Bengali
Italian
Dutch
Greek
Korean
Turkish
Vietnamese
Hebrew
Polish
Ukrainian
Indonesian
Thai
Swedish
Romanian
Hungarian
Czech
Finnish
Danish
Filipino
Malay
Swahili
Tamil
Telugu
Gujarati
Marathi
Kannada
Malayalam
Punjabi
Urdu
AL CIRCLE

SMB resumes operation at its bauxite mine in Guinea

EDITED BY : 1MINS READ

Societe Miniere de Boke (SMB) has resumed operations at its bauxite mine after a nearly two-week strike in Guinea, the company’s Managing Director said on Wednesday.

{alcircleadd}

“The overwhelming majority of workers went back to work this morning even if there are a few scattered blockages without any impact on shipments,” Frederic Bouzigues told Reuters in a text message.

SMB - owned by Guinea, China’s Winning Shipping Ltd, Shandong Weiqiao and UMS International Ltd - said that the company had already lost around 1 million to 1.2 million tonnes of scheduled bauxite production, with losses running to US$1 million a day.

Guinea’s volatile western town Boke is known for suffering from frequent strikes and protests from a local population who feel excluded from the town’s vast mineral wealth.

The poor West African nation, despite being one of the world’s richest iron ore and bauxite deposits, has stayed near the bottom of the U.N. Human Development Index. Boke’s other major bauxite miner is Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee (CBG), 49 percent of which is owned by the Guinean state and the remainder by Alcoa, Rio Tinto Alcan and Dadco.

Adv
Adv
Adv
Adv
Adv
Adv
Adv
EDITED BY : 1MINS READ
Adv
Adv
Adv

Responses

Adv
Adv
Adv
Related News
Would you like to be
featured with us?
Adv
Adv
Business Leads VIEW ON AL BIZ

AL Circle News App
AL Biz App

A proud
ASI member
© 2025 AL Circle. All rights reserved.
AL Circle is not responsible for content from external sources.